SBC Associational Emphasis week
May 20-17, 2018
2 Corinthians 9:1-8, Romans 15:25-27
Intro: The Lone Ranger and Tonto were traveling one day when they looked up and noticed Apaches coming over the hill to their north. Turning to the east, they then noticed Shawnee Indians crossing the hilltops. Looking around to the west, they saw a long line of Crow Indians and finally, looking to the south they saw a large group of Sioux Indians. Being approached from all four directions, the Lone Ranger looked at Tonto and said, “We are in trouble, Tonto!” To which Tonto replied, “What mean ‘WE’ white man?!?!”
“IT’S A BAD THING TO BE IN TROUBLE AND TO BE ALONE!”
Ecclesiastes 4: 9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
The primary work of an association is to encourage and equip local churches in their ongoing ministries. Other activities include missions coordination, program training and state/national convention partnerships such as Disaster Relief and other activities.
An important activity an association performs is Cooperative Program support and education.
Read 2 Corinthians 9:1-8
This was written to the people who were taking up the first Missions Offering by local churches to be used in the propagation of the Gospel message around the world and the caretaking of struggling churches.
Read Romans 15:25-27
This was written about those who had decided to take up the offering.
Working Together is a Pleasant Activity
- Verse 26-27a The word, “pleased” is used twice.
- There was no doubt in the mind of the early church, that all the churches were connected in the body of Christ and must be cared for.
- Romans 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Giving Together Furthers the Gospel Message
- Verse 27 “their debtors they are”
- We are debtors to those who brought the Gospel to us. How shall we repay such a debt?
- Matthew 28:19a Go ye therefore
Caring Together Increases the Kingdom Ministry
- Verse 27 partakers and ministers
- Four sisters who sang regularly in their church while growing up eventually formed their own group. Debbie, Joni, Kim and Kathy Sledge became known as Sister Sledge and in 1979 they released a worldwide hit entitled, “We Are Family.” Their number one hit reminds us that there is nothing greater than being part of a family who loves one another without reservation.